Christmas Donkeys

Have you seen the adorable designs that Laurie Wisbrun creates? I love them all. First she created a print of donkeys wearing wellies. I thought I could resist, until the Christmas version appeared. Pretty soon I had a little of each fabric in my shopping cart!
I didn't want to chop up the donkeys too much, so I used these prints plus a few different reds and greens to make 2 table runners. I did some simple straight line quilting and bound each table runner in kona sour apple.
Do you see the green ricrac and the red piping? I love those details almost as much as the donkeys and boots!
One of these runners is now on our dining room table. It doesn't quite go with the argyle wall, but it brings some cheer to the room none the less! The other runner is a gift for a friend, Amanda. A few weeks ago when Matt was home, Amanda did a photo shoot of our family. I was just getting started on these table runners at the time, and the donkeys remind me of her every time I look at them. I added a camera strap to the gift, too, since I noticed that she didn't have one!
The gifts were very well received, which is the best part of hand crafting!

Pumpkin Pie

I picked up a Pumpkins Gone Wild charm pack on clearance awhile back. (Holy cow, this line is from 2 years ago now!)  I've been trying to sew from my stash more, so I pulled these out to play with.
I added some Kona in snow (lattice pieces) and espresso (ruffle).

My original plan was to use paper foundations to piece these blocks, but it ended up being much faster to just chain piece. I started with 5" charm squares, which I cut in half once on the diagonal.  I then pieced the blocks back together with a 1" strip of Kona snow down the center.  I trimmed all of the blocks to 4.5" before sewing the blocks together.

I left the batting out of this table runner.  After basting the ruffles to either end, I sewed the backing on with right sides together, turned it right side out, and top stitched.  To keep the top and backing from shifting too much, I tacked buttons down at the seam allowances as shown.  I really like this technique, especially for table runners.  My table runners take a lot of abuse, which means they get washed often.  For a piece like this, that has no quilting to keep the layers together, the buttons work like a charm!  I can pull my table runner straight out of the dryer, no ironing needed. :)

A close up of the blocks and buttons:

I love this pattern with these prints.  It reminds me of slices of pie.  Because yes, I slice my pie into quarters. ;)

Quilter's Braille

I love the feel of heavy quilting.  Something about how the fabric becomes sort of ridged....maybe it's because I *know* how much work went into all of the quilting!

I finished the sushi table runner with a lot of echo quilting, which is why I have the feel of densely quilted fabric on my mind!  Instead of echoing the applique pieces, I choose to echo the curves of the "platter".  I'm really happy with how it turned out!  I hope it does well in the sale!


I also started *and* finished a bag tonight!  I made this bag years ago, and I still love to use it because it's a great shape (and I used some really great fabrics in it!).  I'm not really happy with how the bag is finished, though.  So I took the eclectic messenger bag style and changed how the bag was finished off.  I'm really happy with the finished product, and hopefully I'll have time to alter my old bag soon!  I've already taken everything apart, so it should go pretty fast!  Here's the new bag, which will also be at the sale!


I don't have pics of my old bag, but the general construction is much different.  The original pattern involved 2 large main compartmentts and using binding on the edges of the bag.  It's a cute design, but the problem is with the strap.  I could never get the bag to sit right, because the strap was threaded under the bag, sort of.  I changed it up so that the bag was constructed like a typical messenger bag-except that it has a "flap" on both sides.  It still has much of the personality, and is a lot more user-friendly :)