Beautiful Disaster Quilt

I volunteered to make a quilt for a benefit recently. I actually thought that I had a quilt finished and ready to donate, but the quilt that I had in mind wasn't really in proper condition to donate. (It was a red and white quilt that I finished awhile back. After I finished it, I washed it and put it away to store it. The reds had bled into the whites in the wash, but I didn't notice it until recently!)
I had a lot of other projects going on, so I let a few ideas roll around in my mind for a bit while I worked on other things. One night I realized that I had quite a few HSTs left over from another quilt (which I haven't finished yet, but I'll share as soon as it's done!).
Within an hour or so I had the HSTs sewn into this top!

Beautiful Disaster Quilt

It's a lot of fun to play with color value! The other quilt I'm working on has a different look to it, but I couldn't resist the simple, stunning effect of this layout.
With the top done, I set it aside to think about how to quilt it. I think I set it aside for a bit too long, because suddenly I realized that I had a week to finish the quilt and ship it to Illinois. Plus there was a 3-weekend with no mail delivery!
I started out with a free motion quilt design that I found in Angela Walter's book, but I didn't feel like it flowed with the quilt top. I had less than 1/6 of the quilt done, but it still took me several hours to pick out the stitching!

Beautiful Disaster Quilt

I ultimately went with straight line quilting, which was my first instinct all along... I chose a purple variegated thread for the quilting, but with less than half of the quilt done, I ran out! At this point I just wanted to finish the quilt and send it off, so I decided to simply finish with another color thread. I had a pink variegated thread, which was the same brand and style as the purple, so I chose that.
Just when I thought I'd never finish this quilt, I ran out of thread AGAIN! By this time I was actually laughing out loud. I had yet another variegated thread in my stash (this one was green, and a different brand), so I pulled that out. I figured that by changing thread colors twice, it would look more intentional. Right?
In this picture you can kind of see that there are different colors of thread.

Beautiful Disaster Quilt

Here's another shot showing the different threads:

Beautiful Disaster Quilt

I was able to finish the quilting without running out of green thread (victory!). For the back of the quilt I chose an ikat print by Amy Butler and a blue print from my stash (sorry, I have no clue of the designer!). The blue print worked out really well for binding, too. I'm really happy with how well these two prints play with the Kaffe Fassett prints!

Beautiful Disaster Quilt

Here's a close up of the two backing prints:

Beautiful Disaster Quilt

How fabulous is this ikat? I love it!

Beautiful Disaster Quilt

I'm happy to report that the quilt did make it to Illinois in time for the benefit. I'm not sure how much money the quilt itself raised, but I do know that the benefit raised a bit of money to help a friend of a friend with her cancer treatments. It was quite a rush to finish this project, especially with all of the other sewing I had going on, but I'm so glad I could be involved in this event!

Beautiful Disaster Quilt

Finished size is 36" x 41"
Prints are mostly Kaffe Fassett with a few Brandon Mably prints.
Backing is an ikat print by Amy Butler and an unknown print from my stash.
Straight line quilting in several thread colors. ;) Purple and pink are Signature threads, the green is Wonderfil.

Purple and Grey Goodness!

Last year I made this mini quilt for my coffee table. We've been using it ever since then, and I really like it. It adds a bit of color to the room and it's a great coaster/table mat! Unfortunately that means that it will get dirty...and get dirty it did. I tossed the mini quilt into the wash a few weeks ago and was quite disappointed to see that it shrunk up about 1" in both directions! It still "worked", but I was unhappy that a once perfected-fitted mini was now an odd-ball size. (The center of our coffee table/ottoman has a wooden table area with a lip around it, as seen below. I made the mini to fit exactly within this area...until recently!)
9-Patch Mini
So I made a new mini! This time I made it about 1" larger in either direction and washed it as soon as I was finished binding it. It's a tiny bit big in the width, but I'm happy with it!
Purple and Grey Goodness!
I used big chunks of some of my favorite prints, and each log is quilted in a different style from Angela Walter's book. It was a fun way to play around with different quilting styles, and I just love how it turned out!
Purple and Grey Goodness!
Purple and Grey Goodness!
Purple and Grey Goodness!
Purple and Grey Goodness!
On the back I used a large piece of a print from Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush line and a bit of bikes by Erin McMorris (this is one of my all time favorite prints!).
Purple and Grey Goodness - back
Although there isn't a ton of the orangey-coral color in the mini, I had to use the peach bikes for binding. I love that it's such a soft color and just flows with the rest of the mini quilt!
Here's a shot of the shrunken mini stacked on top of the new mini. That's quite a bit of shrinkage for such a small quilt! (Finished size of Purple and Grey Goodness is approximately 14.75" x 20.75".)
9-Patch Mini
And here's the Purple and Grey Goodness being put to use!
Purple and Grey Goodness!
I'm digging the change from the brightly colored 9-patch mini to the more subtle hues of this mini (plus it goes swimmingly with our lavender couch!). Although I will find a home for my 9-patch mini somewhere else, I'm sure!
You know it's a win when you want to just sit and stare at your finished project! I just wish I had yardage of all of these prints to make a larger quilt now!