Now that the Far, Far Away II fabric has hit the stores, I'm finally getting around to using and blogging about my Far, Far Away I!
This dress started off as a shirred sundress. I wanted to make something for myself, and I read some really great reviews for these simple dresses. Not wanting to mess up, I thought it would be wise to use a pattern for what was supposed to be a super easy dress. Lucky me, I found the Mendocino Sundress pattern!
I printed the pattern, stared at it for awhile, and held my breathe as I cut into the fabric. After I had the pieces assembled and all of my edges serged, I started sewing with the elastic thread. 16 rows of stitching later, I held the dress up. Wow, it looked tiny. But it's supposed to be tight, right? Well, kind of. I could get the dress on, but it certainly didn't look cute. I searched all over the internet for tips, when I stumbled on some comments about printer settings. Oops. My pattern pieces were probably half of the size they should have been!
There wasn't any chance that my purple double gauze would even be transformed into a shirred dress, so I compromised. I added some 1" elastic at the top, thin little halter straps, a gathered piece under the bust, and a tie. The gathered piece is only sewn down to the dress at the top and bottom, so they form a nice channel for the tie.
It's soft and comfy, plus it has fun pockets. Overall I think it's the best fabric save I could manage with the pieces that I already had cut. :)