Wow, I think I can officially add skirts to my list of addictions. Maybe it's because they are such a great way to use some fabulous fabric. Maybe it's because they are so simple to create. Or maybe it's because there are so many options when making them.
I headed up to my closet this morning with the intention of pulling out the top left skirt. I wanted to take a few pics to post here and also over at Skirt Week! But while I was in my closet I found 3 other skirts that I've made and never photographed or blogged! The really fun part of Skirt Week is that you can enter a skirt that you just finished sewing, or something that you made 3 years ago! So here we go, a mini tour of my closet:
Top Left: Awhile back I used this fabric to create a bubble skirt. I wore it once, but wasn't really in love with it. So last week I pulled out the bubble hem, took in the sides, and added a wide solid band to the bottom. So much better! I'm wearing it right now, and loving it. Fabric is Dolce Grey Marilyn by Tanya Whelan and the bottom band is kona-coffee, i think? No pattern, just a simple gathered skirt with a zipper back and solid colored band at the bottom.
Top Right: This skirt was made from the Barcelona pattern by Amy Butler. The pattern has 2 options: tiered A-line or simple A-line. I choose the tiered option for this, because I wanted to use a batik and I liked the idea of soft edges around the skirt. I could stare at this fabric for hours. The batiking process left a great all over pattern, which is highlighted in the brown sections. I find it so much fun to follow the pattern through the blue areas, too-this is probably the most impressive batik I have ever seen! This skirt is fully lined and has a zipper in back.
Bottom Left: Double gauze! A good friend of mine traveled to Japan last summer, and brought me back some really great fabric! I gave her a few ideas of the designs that I'd like, and she brought me back 4 beautiful prints. Three of them are still in my stash, waiting for the perfect project. There's a great shot of what this print looked like before I cut into it here. I started off by cutting the first tier of fabric at 1.5x my waist measurement. Each subsequent tier is 1.5x the length of the previous tier. I hand gathered the tiers, serged the edges, and finished the bottom with a rolled hem. Each layer was lined with bleached muslin before gathering and the waist is 3/4" elastic.
Bottom Right: Another Barcelona skirt. This time I used a grey corduroy and altered the pattern a bit. I found that the blue skirt was a bit high waisted for me, so I took about an inch off of the top of the pattern. I also took the hem up about 2.5", but because of the lower rise, the hem hits at about the same spot as the blue version. This is a great skirt for the fall. Fabric was purchased at JoAnn Fabrics.
I've already entered 2 skirts in the Skirt Week challenge, and the limit is 4. I guess I need to decide which of these will make the cut!